Released By Sgt. Robert Masten On 06.21.2017 @1415 Hours
The Milford Police Department has begun to investigate an increase in bicycle thefts in recent days. This includes bicycles that have been located by concerned citizens and turned over to us too. We urge anyone who has had a bicycle stolen and not reported it, to contact the Milford Police Department at 302.422.8081 and speak with our Evidence Technician. We may be able to reunite you with yours, as it may have been recovered. We urge all bicycle owners to keep your bicycles locked or kept inside when not in use to prevent further incidents such as these. Below are some tips that can help prevent further victims of these types of crimes.
- Use a U-Lock instead of a cable lock. U-Locks are solid steel and are very hard to cut. Cable locks can be cut easily.
- Always secure your bike to a bike rack or solid object. Secure both wheels and frame.
- Remember that locks are only a deterrent.
- Report all suspicious persons loitering around bike racks by calling 302.422.8081.
- Quick release tires and adjustable bicycle seats are good examples of parts that are stolen easily.
- Keep a record of your bicycle’s serial number.